Who We Are
Christ Church is a parish of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra-Goulburn, Australia. We hold the Christian faith as received from apostolic times and the scriptures of the Old and New Testament as our ultimate rule and standard of life. We are committed to obeying the commands of Christ, teaching his doctrine, administering the sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion and maintaining an ordered ministry of bishops, priests and deacons.
We are Christians who seek to serve Christ faithfully in the circumstances of our daily lives. We invite you to join us on this journey.
To know God through:
- worship and prayer
- Bible study and reflection
To make God known through:
- Serving others in Jesus' name
- Sharing the gospel story
- Caring for the resources God has given us.
Our parish was established in 1970 to serve central Belconnen, following the rapid development of new suburbs of Canberra: the first residents moved into Page in 1968, Scullin in 1969, Weetangera in 1970, Hawker 1972, and Florey 1980. Major milestones in the development of Christ Church parish:
- 1969 (July) – Services in Belconnen commenced in the home of a parishioner in Belconnen Way with the celebration of Holy Communion.
- 1970 (January) – The first priest in charge of the central Belconnen area was commissioned. Services were held in the assembly hall of Page Primary School. A few months later services were relocated to Scullin Primary School, which the parish shared in cooperation for many years with the congregation of the Methodist Church, subsequently the Uniting Church of Australia, until our Hawker church was built.
- 1979 (September) – Rectory completed in Hawker.
- 1982 (November) – First services held in the present Christ Church building.
- 2006 (November) – The church building was consecrated.